Fast Facts• Entrepreneur, musician, event planner, tourist guide, cultural activist
• Dual citizen of USA and South Africa
• Graduated cum laude from New York University Gallatin w/ self-designed B.A. degree in “Social Entrepreneurship & Cultural Revitalization”
• Registered tourist guide with Professional Drivers Permit in SA’s WC & EC provinces
• Lived in Khayelitsha for a year in 2014/2015
• Speaks isiXhosa semi-fluently
• Umbiyozo Foundation built up over course of 7 tireless years
• Featured by Global Citizen in 2014/2015
• Given a TEDx talk entitled, "Imagine a Culture Revitalized" in 2014/2015
Jason was born in the U.S. shortly after his South African parents immigrated to the country. He designed his own degree at New York University called Social Entrepreneurship and Cultural Revitalization, a degree with so much freedom that it allowed him to live in Khayelitsha—Cape Town’s largest township—for a year to build out Umbiyozo Foundation, the umbrella youth development organization he founded at age 17. Equipped thereafter with relative fluency in IsiXhosa, intimate knowledge of the townships, and heightened consciousness of a world and country with vast economic and cultural disparities, Jason is partnering with tourism to bridge worlds.
Jason has served numerous tourists ad hoc through Umbiyozo Foundation, but started officially guiding in 2017 once he became registered by the National Department of Tourism to guide throughout the Western Cape and Eastern Cape regions.
He feels that South Africa has the perfect blend of assets and opportunities to use tourism to become a model of global co-existence and poverty alleviation for the entire world. A nascent democracy, novel and authentic customs, and a vital, humble spirit are but a few of SA’s most special drawcards for visitors seeking to find and offer hope of a better, shared future.
Although living at home with his 95-year-old grandfather, he intends before long to move to Langa, Cape Town’s oldest township that leads the way in tourism. In his leisure time, he enjoys playing guitar and singing, playing tennis and basketball, hiking, and taking joyrides on his moped.